The Holarussia company invite you to the private tour of Kronshtadt with St. Petersburg guide.
Best Russian tours often go to the town of Kronshtadt
Kronshtadt originated on the island of Kotlin in the Gulf of Finland in the very beginning of the history of the Northern capital of Russia. In the north and in the south it is protected by forts.
☞ The private tour of Kronshtadt with St. Petersburg guide starts from the dam of St. Petersburg – a modern reliable flood prevention construction that serves as a water gate and a dock gate. More or less dangerous floods took place in Saint Petersburg throughout its history.
- It was not accidental that Peter the Great, the founder of Kronshtadt chose this spot to found a sea fortress city, it was here that the Russian military force consolidated when they conquered an exit to the Baltic sea. Peter the Great liked to visit this place.
- Not far from the Gulf of Finland stands a chapel called “Our Savior on the Waters”. The chapel was restored to its original design and is one of the favorite places of Peter the Great that he frequented.
Kronshtadt, the town in the program of the St. Petersburg shore excursions «the town of the crown», is a small town. Military naval paraphernalia is found all over the place:
- Submarine “Kazakhstan Komsomolets”
- The monument to the living and fallen fighters of the Baltic navy
- The anchor square with the monument to the Admiral Makarov
- The unique monument with an optical illusion at the railing of the Kronshtadt Summer Garden in the memory of those perished on the clipper “Oprichnik” in the Indian ocean in 1861.
Kronshtadt, The Town of naval glory accumulates marine spirit, images and persons:
- Here are monuments to the marine painter Aivazovsky
- The explorer of the Novaya Zemlya P. K. Pakhtusov
- The monument to the Russian sailors – heroes of the Tsushima battle.
One of landmarks of the city is the fountain near Gostiny Dvor – modeled after the shape of the fortress around which the town-port originated.
St. Petersburg cruise excursions also show another part of the town
In contrast to the navy and military significance of the town, during the private tour of Kronshtadt with St. Petersburg guide you will see another important part of life of the town is its religious history.
- First and foremost it is connected with the life of a local saint – Saint John of Kronshtadt. In the very heart of Kronshtadt in the territory of a local park there stood the Cathedral of Apostle Andrew the First-Called.
- The cathedral was destroyed in the Soviet time. At present there is a memorial stone marking this place where the Saint Righteous John of Kronshtadt, a very revered saint used to serve.
- Not far from the centre there is a cathedral of Our Lady of Vladimir, nicknamed the “land“ church. On one of the walls of the church shines the image of St. John of Kronshtadt.
When you go to the private tour of Kronshtadt with St. Petersburg guide you:
- Will walk along the most memorable sights of the town
- Will learn many facts and bits of history
- Will get acquainted with the places of interest of the port town
- And also will visit the famous Naval Cathedral consecrated in honor of Saint Nicholas the Miracle-Maker – the patron of seamen and travelers.
This unusual architectural monument in the new-byzantine style was completed in the beginning of 1913 as a tribute to the memory of “ranks of the navy perished in serving military duty” – this is what its architect V. Kosyakov wrote about it. The building of Aia-Sofia (Temple of Sophia) served as an inspiration for the architect.
The Holarussia company invite you to the private tour of Kronshtadt with St. Petersburg guide!