Because of its sophisticated palaces, solemn architectural ensembles and linear 18th century stylish avenues St. Petersburg is often termed an open-air museum. The Hermitage Museum with local guide in Saint Petersburg help you discover another peculiarity of this unusual Russian city – its numerous museums. Nowadays there are around 200 museums in the city . New museums are being opened in response to the growing popularity of the city among tourists and the eagerness for knowledge of the locals.
However this particular private tour with local guide in St. Petersburg takes you to the most popular city museum, whose lavish collections enjoy world fame:
✓ We shall visit the Hermitage Museum with local guide in Saint Petersburg! Maybe not everyone knows that the museum is in such great request that the Hermitage Museum has opened its branches far out of the country let alone exhibits its collections abroad.
To start with we should mention that the collections of the famous museum (its main department) are located in the heart of St. Petersburg, in the buildings on the Palace square – a place where all Russian tours to the city make a stop. Despite that visitors enter and exit from the same building the tour around the Hermitage takes you through several buildings of the museum complex:
- First we enter the building of the Winter Palace with local guide in Saint Petersburg and visit all the representative rooms of the main palace of the Russian emperors.
- Then we move on to the building of the Small Hermitage where the main focus of our tour is the golden clock in the shape of a peacock. This masterpiece of clockwork was a surprise gift of Prince Potemkin to his empress as a sign of his love and devotion. However history decided against his plan. Empress Catherine the Great did see the clock but only after the death of her favorite. You shall undoubtedly find out how such a simple intention turned into a complicated story from your local guide in Saint Petersburg during the Hermitage tour.
- As we continue our way with local guide in Saint Petersburg inside the museum complex from the Small Hermitage we go on to the halls of the Big Hermitage. The Big Hermitage keeps and displays the world-famous gems of the Renaissance painting: Hall of Titian, Madonna Litta by Leonardo da Vinci and Judith by Giorgione.
- Our familiarization tour of the Hermitage Museum will end in the halls of the New Hermitage. Here the Rafael Loggias copied from the paintings in Vatican are located. The special architecture of the building’s exterior deserves special attention. The New Hermitage palace is executed in a quite another color pattern and architectural style and will be remembered as a building with gigantic columns in the shape of Atlantes. A legend has it that these Atlantes can fulfill wishes made at their feet.
✓ The core of the Hermitage collections was founded by Catherine the Great. At present these collections are extremely rich and the museum is attributed to the biggest museums of the world. Scientists counted that one needs no less than seven years to see all of the collection. During the three hour familiarizing tour we can see only the most important historical halls and the most valuable masterpieces.
The peculiarity of the tour “Hermitage Museum with local guide in Saint Petersburg” is that it is a multi-faceted excursion:
- You shall see masterpieces of world art and visit the main residence of the Russian emperors.
- At the same time, we shall visit the main square of the city whose stylish and architecturally complete composition is the postcard view that decorates multiple travel books and postcards.
Get ready! This excursion with local guide in Saint Petersburg is unlikely to be quiet perception and absorbing rather it is a thrilling and informative experience that you will keep returning to in your mind for many years on and will probably be an experience of a lifetime.