The Holarussia company invite you to the Michael Castle walking tour with private tour guide in St. Petersburg.
One of the attractions that are worth seeing, when travelling to St. Petersburg with private tour guide, is The Michael Castle
St. Petersburg used to be the capital of the Russian state during a prolonged period of time. Its architectural appearance was formed accordingly:
- The emperors who were rulers of all the mighty Russia built themselves residences – lavish palaces and castles.
- These buildings served the purpose of attracting the attention of the St. Petersburg residents.
- They were supposed to astound the foreign royalties and the representatives of upper class by their grandeur and complexity.
This is why when you visit the city St. Petersburg shore excursions to its castles, palaces and mansions are not to be missed.
✓ The Michael Castle located in Sadovaya street was commissioned by the emperor Paul the First. It was named after the church of Archangel Michael that was located in the castle. Fear of possible assassination haunted the emperor Paul the First throughout his life. He placed high hopes for the new castle that in his opinion could shelter him from his enemies. But his destiny betrayed him. He was only going to live in the Michael Castle for 40 days. Unexpected assassination attempt took place on the 12th of March 1801.
The Michael Castle walking tour with private tour guide in St. Petersburg take you to the castle with such a tragic story that looks solemn and ceremonial just according to the conception of its owner
Tourists and visitors to the city immediately notice how the style of the Castle differs from the typical St. Petersburg architecture:
- This mansion built in the style of Romantic classicism is unique not only in St. Petersburg but in all of Russia.
- This style was common in Europe in the medieval times.
- The project of the castle was drawn by the Russian architect Bazhenov and the construction was supervised by Vincenzo Brenna.
- Another Italian architect Carlo Rossi also took part in the construction process.
☞ In 1820s the building of the castle was given to the Main Engineering College. Hence the castle was renamed The Engineering Castle. The double name is still in use nowadays. After a special reconstruction the building was restored and given to the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg.
During the Michael Castle walking tour with private tour guide in St. Petersburg you shall visit:
- The Throne room of the empress Maria Fedorovna.
- The wife of Paul the First.
- The St. George Hall.
- The Marble Gallery.
- The Common Dining Hall.
During the Michael Castle walking tour with private tour guide in St. Petersburg you will not only see the rooms connected with the life and death of Paul the First:
- In the museum operating here you can see the painting galleries and the temporary expositions dedicated to the history of the Russian and foreign painting and the new trends in this kind of art.
A private tour guide in St. Petersburg will take you along the most interesting parts of the castle and will tell you interesting facts from its history and the legends and myths surrounding the life and death of the emperor Paul the First.
Travel with the Holarussia company!